Saturday, October 16, 2010

As the big day approaches I take a look back at how far i've come....

Wow...it's been an extrememly long journey. I remember back when I was 8 years old. I went to Hartsfield-Jackson Airport (ATL) with my uncle. It was a typical Saturday afternoon. We went through security (without an airline ticket) and went to the international terminal. This was where all the big planes were. There we walked up to the windows and watched the big 747's come in and pull into the gate. While random people and kids waived their loved ones goodbye. It was an awesome site for an 8 year old. Then after the 3 story tall airplane pushed back from the gate we walked to the end of the terminal to watch it take off. From that day forward I new that I wanted to learn to fly.

I think every pilot has that memory of when they knew they wanted to make that dream come true. That "bug" that bites them. The opportunity to learn to fly did not come until after I graduated from college. I was at the Mount Comfort Indianapolis Air Show back in June 2008. The local FBO (Fixed Based Operator) had a tent set up and some of there aircraft on display. A friend encouraged me to go sit in the plane and play with the controls. I didn't want to be a groupie or anything so I said "naw I'm good". But my friend peer pressured me into sitting in it. So I jumped into the Cessna 172 and a feeling took over me. I new this time was for real and I had to do it.

So I scheduled a discovery flight and took a test flight. I'll never forget that day. It was the strangest feeling. I was defying gravity. I felt the vibration from the engine, I felt my weight of gravity increase as I was thrust back into the seat. Then I felt the wind. I thought to myself wow this is a surreal feeling. We flew north of the city and over my apartment complex and even got to see Ron Artest's former house. He has his name boldly plastered across his tennis court in his back yard. Cool stuff. We then climbed to about 2,000 feet above the ground and the instructor let me take the controls. It felt oddly familiar. It felt JUST like flight simulator. I had probably logged over a thousand Flight Sim hours having have had it since Fs98. I felt like I was a natural at it. But before I knew it my 45 minute discovery flight was coming to an end. We headed back to Mount Comfort and made a smooth and safe landing and taxied back.

After we landed the CFI (Certified flight instructor) gave his typical spill and sales pitch. I had sticker shock. This would not be cheap!!! But by then the bug had hit me and I knew this was something to do. Rather than dive into something blind I did some research and networking. I met some local guys at Eagle Creek Airport. They introduced me to one of the top CFI's in the city. He was a former professor and an experienced aviation professional. He took me through the ground school that is required and prepared me for my written exam. After 6 months of studying I took my written exam and passed with flying colors (pun intended).

The next step was to get some flight time. I joined a local flight club with a Piper Warrior II (PA-128-161). I had the intitial impression that it would take me about 4-6 months to get my required hours. However like most pilots know "Life Happens". 1 year and 4 months later here I am today. On the eve of making my dream come true....

But you know what. Without some very important people I would not have made it this far. Those people are number 1 my faith in God, 2 my lovely Wife, and 3 my praying and loving family and friends...

Stayed tuned for more. This will be the official spot to find information about my flying adventures...

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading about your experiences flying and how you got into your passion. I remember being flown around in a plane at a Virginia air show back in middle school. The plane was one of those older propeller two-seater planes (a pilot in front, and a passager in back) that can do flips and stunts. It was great fun. And even though I've never had a desire to be a pilot, I admire pilots and their crafts.

    Thank you for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking the site out Ortizzle. My goal of this site is to make people aware of General Aviation and the importance that it has. The media many times gives people a very twisted view of what flying is and what it's all about.

    Keep checking the site for updates in the future!!!

    ReplyDelete