Friday, March 18, 2011

iPad and Weather

Today after work I wanted to fly to DAY for a party. However a small system was moving through. The ceiling was high and the visibility was good. However being a conservative pilot I aired on caution.

I checked the weather during at planned departure time. It turns out that the system moved through and I could have flown safely!

I guess it goes to the old adage "it's better to be on the ground and wish you were up there than to be up there and wish you were on the ground.

Not all is lost though. This gives me time to play with my new toy. I just became the newest pilot to adopt the iPad. I gave it a test spin on Thursday. It's awesome. This device will revolutionize the aviation industry. Delta, net jets, and a few other airlines have already adopted it or plan to adopt it.

The app I use is Foreflight. It's pretty cool. I will attach some screen shots. When I'm in the plane, the app can connect to my gps so it'll point specifically on the Sectional Chart where I am at! Awesome...





1 comment:

  1. Damn Capt. K, def think u made the right move on not flying...lol...Say im def enjoyin your maps...as that's what I look at and make daily...one of the analyst here just had to construct a damage intensity map on the earthquake in japan... I had to make one of the earthquake that hit New Zealand last month... Though we are not targeting to present the casuality toll rate but the damage of agricultural crop...and how it would affect production, area and yield estimates.. but for precipitation I use NOAA.gov to get up to date weather conditions...what do you use or is that information encompassed in the ForeFlight app???

    ReplyDelete